Helsinki (day 1)

I'm writing this in a little cafe in the centre of Helsinki, not too far away from the Parliament House (my next stop so please don't expect a long post). 

After spending virtually one whole day in a plane or airport, I finally arrived this morning at 6:20am (Helsinki is 7 hours behind Melbourne). The bus ride from the airport was pleasant. I was so absorbed in the scenery... It took me several minutes to realise we were driving on the right side of the road!


I arrived at the Central Railway Station and had to make my way to my hostel. I unfortunately got a bit lost in the station but some friendly locals pointed me in the right direction and I found my hostel eventually. They have trams here that look quite similar to the ones we have in Melbourne!


After dropping off my suitcase in the luggage room, I went to check out Temppeliaukio Church as recommended by my Finnish friend. The peaceful atmosphere was somewhat ruined by the many tourists snapping away with their cameras...


Oh well... I think half the fun is wandering the streets of Helsinki so I'm not too fussed. Well, one hour before the English tour starts at the Parliament House. I might quickly check out a few shops before then.

Popular Posts