Oslo (day 2 - Saturday)

I began the day with a tour of the Parliament House. If you have read my post 'Helsinki (day 1, part 2)', you might notice an emerging trend. Again, not the usual tourist thing to do but I find them really interesting... and not just because I study politics! The little tidbits you learn are priceless and I always leave with a sense of responsibility. I'm not sure why but that is how I feel...



I then caught the ferry across to Bygdøy Pensinsula to visit Norsk Folkemuseum (The Norwegian Museum of Cultural History) and Vikingskipshuset (The Viking Ship Museum).


Norsk Folkemuseum was a quaint open air museum presenting original buildings transplanted from the different regions of Norway. I spent longer than I expected here but I suppose it shows how much I enjoyed it! K was kind enough to show me around a bit during her break :)

The largest ship in Vikingskipshuset was 24 metres long and built around 890 AD. I saw the models in Bergen but this was the real thing! Amazing to think people could build such a large ship with limited technology - so long ago too!

Creative photo-taking...
My final destination was Vigelandsparken - a strange, intriguing park featuring over 200 sculptures in bronze, granite and cast iron. It is one of Norway's most visited attractions and the life work of Gustav Vigeland. I therefore felt obligated to visit. I can't quite find the words to describe the park but the emotions each sculpture embodied and what the collection as a whole said about human relationships was remarkable but strange... I didn't take many photos because my camera was flat and I was busy pondering the meaning of the park. I guess it's just something you have to see for yourself!

Popular Posts