The year that was... (2020)

2020..... so much optimism for the new DECADE and instead... this.

I remember seeing tweets about "coronavirus" in January (perhaps in late 2019?). Then, it was just a word. wow. I had hoped to apply for writing residencies in China. While colleagues continued to plan summer trips to Europe, I laid my plans to sleep early.

I started working from home the week before my 29th birthday.

For 11 consecutive days, I did not leave home. Not even to walk around my neighbourhood. Later, we (Victorians) would be restricted to a 5km radius from our homes, and a night-time curfew introduced. For months, we were allowed to leave home for only four reasons:
  • Essential shopping for food and supplies
  • Caregiving
  • Exercise
  • Essential work and study
Fortunately, I was able to attend a friend's wedding in Sydney in early March. I had intended to tack a visit to Canberra on to that trip but Mum suggested going another time. 

"So you can have two holidays." 

HA! I wish I had ignored her advice... I suppose I could have driven to Canberra over my end-of-year break but I may have been stuck when the VIC/NSW border suddenly closed.


Not planned..... I wrote and published my debut essay collection EchoesI also: 
OMG. To pull this list together, I had to refer to my online portfolio and writing invoices.


In 2020, I learnt to take each day at a time. 

I hope to visit Canberra soon. I hope Echoes continues to touch hearts x I hope to make zines, nurture friendships, be more spontaneous and more generous, take better care of my health (exercise! sleep earlier! use social media less frequently!), set life/work boundaries (day job and writing) and work towards a full-length essay collection.

These reflections/hopes are no doubt coloured by the first two months of 2021.

how apt. 2020 blurring into 2021.

Popular Posts