30 Rabbits, 30 Poets

To celebrate 30 issues of Rabbit Poetry Journal, I was one of 30 poets invited to read as part of '30 Rabbits, 30 Poets' at Melbourne Spoken Word Festival Online.

I read 'empty bed', published in Issue 29: Lineages and inspired by Ang Lee's adaptation of Eileen Chang's Lust, Caution. I was so grateful to be selected by guest editors Chi Tran and Matthew Hall and to be published alongside beloveds Zhi Yi Cham and Panda Wong <3

I woke up early on a Tuesday to record because I didn't feel like it on the weekend. I love reading. It was unexpectedly fun to record. I might record more videos ha ha.

When I discovered I was Leo moon and rising, I was in denial for months. (I had thought I was Cancer moon.) But..... it makes sense! Please invite me to do more readings, thanks! x


empty bed

climb steps to upper level of ding ding

 

sit mirroring Wong Chia Chi in Lust, Caution

the only moment she appears truly happy

 

hair damp from chasing tram through rain     exhilarated

post-stage flush

 

fate sealed not when she goes undercover but

beneath her crush’s gaze     his quiet thank you

 

watch clips of Chia Chi and her lover / target overlaid

with Lana Del Rey’s ‘Sad Girl’

 

film ends with  

his face     her empty bed

                                                                        my desire

for a future where we Chinese girls who

f**k

                                                                                      live


Popular Posts