poetry (i)

I am so, so grateful to my friend Zhi Yi Cham for introducing me to poetry. Before I met Zhi at the Canberra launch of Voiceworks #104 'Cake', I thought poetry was too complicated or irrelevant. In 2016, the only poets I knew were Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Keats and Yeats.

Zhi's poem 'soft-boiled' was the first that truly resonated with me. They later introduced me to Ocean Vuong's Night Sky With Exit Wounds, the first poetry collection I ever read. I remember reading one poem a night. It was that intense. You can read a selection here.


Over the years, I made more poet friends who then introduced me to more poets. I added to my shelves and bookmarks. A very incomplete list but some of my favourites include:
A few poems I send to friends when they ask for suggestions on where to start:

I feel grateful to all of these poets and many, many more x 

Please let me know if you have any recommendations or would like tailored suggestions.

I still feel wobbly about including poet in my bio. It's a year (!) since I wrote a poem but in the past few months, I've invited to write blurbs for Catcalling by Lee Soho (trans. Soje) and flesh into blossom by Leila Lois, and a short reflection on Jennifer Nguyen's When I die slingshot my ashes onto the surface of the moon for Australian Poetry Journal.

I hope to write longform criticism on a poetry collection or collections. Watch this space x

Popular Posts