before I don't

I remember this poster catching my eye last year.

14,000 nominations. 135,000 votes.

(I didn't vote but was intrigued. As a new arrival.)


Things I like (from this list anyway)
  • AUSTRALIAN PARLIAMENT HOUSE
  • BEAUTIFUL, CRISP, SUNNY WINTER DAYS
  • BE HOME FROM WORK IN 10 MINUTES*
  • EASY TO GET AROUND*
  • FOUR DISTINCT SEASONS
  • LACK OF HUMIDITY
  • NATIONAL ARBORETUM
  • NO TRAFFIC OR TRAFFIC JAMS
  • THE LAKES

* If you have a car (and can drive)

.....

That sense of 'provincial sophistication' lingers.

Cosy yet claustrophobic. Defensive yet smug.

Canberra may be Australia's capital but it can only be described as a 'small city'. (If at all a city...)

Population: c. 380,000

.....

There are many (negative) preconceptions about Canberra.

Cold. Boring. Public servants.

(This post is neither critique nor defence.)


I once loved Canberra.

Which why I need to leave before I don't.

(I prefer to cut my losses early.)

Popular Posts