Oh, the joys of baking...

Never thought this would happen but I think I might be losing my sweet tooth... Very strange.

I used to celebrate the end of each semester with a bar of Cherry Ripe but now it's too sweet.

Only temporary or a sign of age? 

Time will tell but I think it's only natural that tastes should change. People do change after all.

My handwriting changes every year and I wonder what that says about me. (It's currently cursive.)

One thing that hasn't changed (yet) is how much I enjoy baking, especially chocolate cake. Yum!

Flourless chocolate cake (from Coles magazine)

250g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
150g caster sugar
150g butter, cubed
¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
100g hazelnut meal
5 eggs, separated
250g strawberries, to serve

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan. Grease and line base and side of a 20cm springform cake pan.
  2. Melt the chocolate, sugar, butter and vanilla in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat. Stir in hazelnut meal. Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time.
  3. Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites in a large, clean, dry bowl until stiff peaks form. Stir 2tbsp egg white into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining egg white. Bake for 45 mins or until cooked through. 
  4. Cool in the pan and top with strawberries. Enjoy!

Popular Posts