history (and frivolity)

Life is full of beginnings and endings.

Last day of winter. New favourite dress.

(Please excuse the frivolity.)


I have a dress collection and I want to remember it.

I took the photos below at Gorman House - built in 1924 as a hostel for Commonwealth Public Servants.

Home to thousands of public servants from 1925 to 1972, it's now an Arts Centre.

(Imagine if the walls could talk...)


I think about the young people who came to work in Canberra in the 1920s, 30s and 40s.

And how my experience mirrors theirs.


There are more buildings now. More people. More activity.

The sense of isolation (somewhat) less.

Technology helps but the 'tyranny of distance' persists.


For all the change, Canberra exists in a bubble.

And (I think) always will.

I don't mean this in a bad way of course.

But I do think it's true.




Funny how much / little things change.

(We still make our own fun.)

Popular Posts