A few of my favourite things (2019)

Books

I love, love, love blur by the by Cham Zhi Yi (one word: incandescent!) and When I die slingshot my ashes onto the surface of the moon by Jennifer Nguyen (one word: luminescent!). They were my most anticipated books of 2019 and they f**king delivered.

I've loved and followed Zhi's and Jen's work for years and their chapbooks were next. level. bbt: fiercely tender / tenderly fierce. When I die...: a cocoon, soothing yet devastating.

From title poem 'When I die slingshot my ashes onto the surface of the moon':
Rather than answer my / question of what is or isn't poetry the fox shows me / a video, a memory of my Father putting on lip balm. / I come to realise that's the most delicate / I've ever seen him.

Other books I loved in 2019:

     * Ornamentalism by Anne Anlin Cheng
     * Oculus by Sally Wen Mao
     * Soft Science by Franny Choi
     * Hard Damage by Aria Aber
     * All Who Live on Islands by Rose Lu
     * When I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities by Chen Chen


Online writing

I loved Franny Choi's column Periodic (especially #3), Larissa Pham's Devil in the Details (especially 'A Bathroom of One's Own') and Hanif Abdurraqib's Notes on Pop. I also loved Nina Mingya Powles' essay 'Faraway Love' and Jennifer S. Cheng's 'What the Retelling of Myths Reveals of the Teller' (highly recommend House A and Moon: Letters, Maps, Poems).

Also, the poem 'My father the sky' by Darlene Silva Soberano.

Song / album

My darling friends Jen and Zhi introduced me to Sunmi and I'm in. love.


In addition to Sunmi, I listened to Homecoming by BeyoncĂ©, MAGDALENE by FKA twigs and Norman Fucking Rockwell by Lana Del Rey on repeat.



(past lists here)

Popular Posts