why we tell stories

Sure, there are days when I miss Melbourne but I'm proud of Canberra. Last week: case in point.

.....

TUE: local talent showcase at Smith's Alternative, including my cousin's band Winter Skyline

There's something magical about music.

It makes me feel alive. (You either understand this, or you don't.)

I've been to more concerts than I can remember and six music festivals... scheduling inter-state trips, following artists on Facebook and constantly checking triple j to see who is touring next.

Because there is always someone new.

In the endless chase, in the bid to 'tick' Flume off my list, I forgot something important.

Music, like all art, is essentially story-telling.

To see it stripped back, to a man, his guitar and a song he wrote about a lady he met at the Belconnen Labor Club, I remembered why music means so much to me, and always will.

I listened. I really listened.

And I remembered... another man, another song.


2013. Queen's Birthday long weekend. No. 16 of triple j's Hottest l00 of the past 20 years.

"It's a break-up song."

"No, it's not."



He didn't want it to be over. I saw it in his eyes, in the way he held me, to the very last song.

I'll never be the one who saves him. (Also, he conceded.)

.....

WED: BAD!SLAM!NO!BISCUIT! poetry slam at Phoenix Pub

My friend H and I had no idea what to expect but it was bloody brilliant. SASSY DOOR!

You had to be there.


.....

THU: Feminartsy and AGAC present Meta Memoir: Storytelling about storytelling

Sooo many beautiful quotes about why we perform theatre, burlesque, spoken word or poetry.
from left: Melinda Smith, CJ Bowerbird, Alison McGregor
Writing a poem is like telling a story to myself before I'm ready to tell it to other people... I'm not trying to use poetry to change the world  but it changes my world.
- CJ Bowerbird -

Popular Posts