a life's work

Writing is..... a life's work.

In April, I was feeling cynical about traditional mainstream book publishing, the writing 'industry' and writing more generally. What was the f**king point when people continue to enact+entrench hate, violence and injustice? What difference could writing / I make?

This question, I suspect, is also a life's work. Foreground or background, it's always there.

I didn't expect Echoes to change the world but I did hope for something.

I spent the first months of 2021 calling and emailing booksellers and posting or delivering copies. I sold signed copies directly to readers and saw Echoes on library shelf!! At a time when travel is near impossible, it felt like sending pieces of my heart across the world <3

In late April, I flew (!) to Newcastle Writers Festival. It was my first time speaking about Echoes at a festival, first signing line, first festival as an 'author'. All going well (fingers crossed.....), I'll be speaking on two panels at Byron Writers Festival in early August.

So many wonderful things..... Working with Fran and Camha. Rose Garden 'photo shoot'. Online book launch (Alice Pung's speech! celebrating with friends!). The support of indie bookstores, especially Paperback Bookshop. Seeing Echoes at my local library.

My 'purpose' and motives as a writer have evolved over the years. I've been publishing memoir and involved in the industry + writing communities since 2015..... six years!!!

Much has changed in this time. And much remains the same.

I started writing as a way of processing trauma. Now I'm interested in inhabiting and sharing my obsessions. I love writing in response, directly or indirectly, to works of art and writers I admire. I love it when something or someone sparks a desire to create.

It's thrilling to know Echoes prompted / manifested responses by three writers I admire:

I'm so grateful to everyone who has shared on social media, commented, lent, borrowed and recommended Echoes. Thank you for holding my book and for giving it a home x

Popular Posts