new woman

i love love love this music video.


beautiful yet terrifying.

...

on announcing / releasing 'Cellophane', FKA twigs said:

throughout my life I’ve practiced my way to being the best I could be, it didn’t work this time. I had to tear down every process I'd ever relied on. go deeper. rebuild. start again.

and

when I wrote cellophane over a year ago a visual narrative came to me immediately, I knew I had to learn how to pole-dance to bring it to life, and so that’s what I did. thank you @andrewthomashuang, for elevating my vision beyond words. you are a visionary. @kelyvon thank you for being with me every step of the way on my precious pole yellow brick road. working with you both on this is a dream come true.

...

in an interview, director Andrew Thomas Huang expands:

Twigs and I met in 2018 to discuss the concept for "Cellophane" as one of the leading tracks for her new album. After listening to Twigs' personal story and spending time with her in rehearsals as she was training in the art of pole dance, I created a vision for Cellophane that triangulated three components: Twigs' heritage as a performer and dancer; her personal journey of loss, vulnerability and recovery; and a visual symbolic dream language to interweave and unfold these elements into a single fantastic journey.

The story you see on screen is a three-part Icarus-tale about a woman's ascent toward her ideals of perfection, her subsequent fall from grace and her ultimate rebirth. The story begins with Twigs as a pole dancer performing for an unseen audience. Her dazzling performance becomes an existential dance-of-death striving toward unattainable perfection, symbolized in the form of Twigs as an angelic winged sphinx flying above the stage.

When Twigs finally encounters the sphinx, the creature unmasks itself, revealing her own visage staring back at her. Confronted by her self-image, Twigs pierces the beast, stepping through the creature's face with her stiletto heel. Her footing gives way as she careens through the creature's body and plummets through the atmosphere like a fallen star back to Earth. She crash-lands into the bowels of a cave. There she is nursed back to health and reborn as a new woman.


...

can't wait for FKA twigs new album!!!!!

in the meantime, i've been listening to her debut album LP1 and EPs on repeat.

Popular Posts