August events

Two years ago, I made my debut at National Young Writers' Festival. Below is photo from my first ever panel with Marlee Jane Ward and Chloe Papas. (O M G. so cute.)


This month I will be speaking, chairing and reading at the following events:

Tuesday 14 August
YWCA She Leads In-Conversation with Michelle Law     (6.15pm, University of Canberra)

We'll chat about 'finding your voice and how to trust it, practical ways to stay focused on your work and career, intersectional feminism, and the struggles women of colour face in leadership position.' Poignant yet hilariously subversive, Michelle challenges stereotypes while making space for others. If you haven't already, check out Homecoming Queens on SBS On Demand. I LOVE this quote from an interview with the Griffith Review:

…one of writing’s key functions is to connect with other people. Not that I expect people to come up to me and have a hearty conversation about something that I’ve written; I’m more interested in those private moments of empathy, or that ‘I know exactly how that person feels’ moment that makes readers feel less alone.

Saturday 18 August
Australia-China Relationship: Our Current Challenges 中澳关系:我们面临新挑战

I'll be speaking as part of Session 4. New leaders - new faces. Humbled and honoured.

Tuesday 21 August
Synthetic Heat winter reading series     (6pm, The Alderman)
SH is an amazing series co-curated by Eloise Grills and Ellena Savage. I'll be reading (and singing a little Lorde!) at SH #3, alongside Natalie Briggs, Rachel Ang, Melinda Harvey, Maria Tumarkin, Angela Serrano, Ellena Savage, Vanessa Giron and Dominic Amerena.

And... I'll be making my debut at Melbourne Writers Festival!!!!!


Artist page here. Photo: Leah Jing McIntosh.

Saturday 25 August
West Writers: In Parallel Universes     (2.30pm, Deakin Edge, Fed Square)
'Sharing stories from Melbourne's west, Footscray Community Arts Centre's West Writers Group will exhibit the works of their collective. Aiming to amplify the stories and voices of the region, this event will showcase the group in performance. This event is produced by West Writers artists Sumudu Samarawickrama, Christina Taylor and Nikki Tran.'

Thrilled to be sharing the stage with Piri Altraide, CB Mako, Quang Dinh, Gabriela Georges, Vanessa Giron, Amal Ibrahim, Jennifer Nguyen, Nadia Niaz and Achut Thuc. Squee!!!!!

Friday 31 August
The Personal is Political: Bri Lee & Zoya Patel     (11.30am, ACMI, The Cube)
So excited to be chairing a conversation with Zoya and Bri. I've looked up to both for years. We'll be discussing 'the implications of writing on a subject close to your heart, and the way that the personal can be used as a framework to explore systemic issues.'


I cried talking to Mum about Eggshell Skull and was brimming by page 8 of No Country Woman. Bri and Zoya write with poise and unflinching honesty, about pain but also hope.

I first heard Zoya and Bri speak at National Young Writers' Festival in 2015 so it feels full circle to be sharing the stage. Zoya as Founding Editor of Feminartsy gave me several first breaks and encouragement when I started out as a writer. I hope to pay this forward xx

Popular Posts