A few of my favourite things (2017)

Since 2013, I've shared my favourite songs, albums and books and 'the year that was...'

An end-of-year tradition. A time capsule of my tastes, my psyche. 

I read each year's post before writing the latest. Even after all these years, I'm still confused.

(I'm still hurt. I'm still hurting.)

2017 is a little late because I was busy writing and editing a very, very important essay.


Song / album

Melodrama is my favourite album of 2017 and will remain an all-time fav. I saw Lorde perform last November and it was f**king magical. I screamed, cried and danced my. heart. out. I love Lorde.

2017 soundtrack: Melodrama, Desire Path by Yeo and my dance/writing playlist. on repeat. Highlights:

       * 'Green Light' - Lorde
       * 'Perfect Places' - Lorde
       * 'Homemade Dynamite' - Lorde
       * 'Writer In The Dark' - Lorde
       * 'Supercut' - Lorde
       * 'Three Dots' [ft. Kira Puru] - Yeo
       * 'Chasing Shadows' [ft. Fractures] - Yeo
       * 'Wannabe' [ft. Take Your Time] - Yeo
       * 'Top Of The World' - Kimbra
       * 'Woman's World' - Okenyo

I also highly recommend Vivan Vo's '2017 OKBYE' playlist mentioned in her Liminal interview here.

Vivan is an uber-talented DJ and I love her taste in music.




Books

Too Much and Not the Mood by Durga Chew-Bose is the book I wish I had written. I love how Durga writes about film, art, being a writer, friendship and living alone, as well as family, identity and race.

In an interview with Rookie, Durga said, 'I don't want to ever be introduced as all the qualifiers that people want to call me, like Canadian, South Asian, woman, feminist, whatever...' I love the incomplete-completeness of her writing and how she transcends the qualifiers I feel crushed by. She gives me hope.

Others which took my breath away: A Concise Chinese-English Dictionary for Lovers by Xiaolu Guo, The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter, When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife by Meena Kandasamy, The Border of Paradise by Esme Weijun Wang and The Agonist by Shastra Deo.

Previous lists here.

Popular Posts